Elk Grove was established in 1850 as a hotel and stage stop, located about 15 miles south of historic Sutter’s Fort. The area became a crossroads for business, entertainment, mail service and agricultural ventures as well as supplying much of the needs of the early miners in the gold fields of nearby Sheldon, Sloughhouse and Coloma.
After playing its part in the early gold rush and statehood history of California, a close-knit community evolved with a distinctly rural and western lifestyle. Elk Grove remained quietly independent of Sacramento’s growth until the 1980’s.
On July 1, 2000, Elk Grove incorporated as a city. However, its ability to retain the feel of that small town that began back in 1850 makes Elk Grove special to its residents. The annual “Western Festival” and “Salute to Red, White and Blue” are just two of the many family-oriented events that Elk Grove residents participate in and enjoy. “Old Town” Elk Grove is located about a mile east of State Route 99 (formerly U.S. Route 99, the north-south artery of the California Central Valley).